Help us tell the story of rock ‘n’ roll! Smithsonian is asking the public to dig through their attics, basements, closets, shoe boxes, digital cameras, photo albums and photo upload sites and send us photographs and stories that illustrate great moments in rock ‘n’ roll history.
Send us your Jimi Hendrix pictures. Your Patti Smith shots. Your Radiohead photos. We want rock’n’roll as seen through your eyes: at clubs, concerts, festivals, and beyond. This site will be used to inform several upcoming projects on the history of rock ‘n’ roll at the Smithsonian. For instance, Smithsonian Books is compiling a book of rare or never-published photographs telling the history of rock ‘n’ roll, and may select photographs or stories from the Smithsonian Rock ‘n’ Roll Website for inclusion in that publication, or a related exhibition.
Important Rules for Your Submission
Submissions to the Smithsonian’s Rock ‘n’ Roll Website (rockandroll.si.edu) are subject to following terms and conditions:
- You are over the age of 18 and solely responsible for your submission and the consequences of making your submission.
- You retain ownership of your submission. However, by making a submission, you give the Smithsonian and those authorized by the Smithsonian permission to use it in whole or in part for any educational, promotional, or other standard museum purpose, in any media now known or later developed, without compensation to you. This includes but is not limited to use in archives, educational offerings, exhibitions, promotions and social media, research, and publications.
- Certain venues and bands welcome photography, but not all do. Only submit images that you own and for which you have the necessary permissions from any persons or entities that own the content and intellectual property rights. By submitting an image and/or story, you represent and warrant that, when taking the photo, you did not break any applicable venue, event, or performer rules against photography or otherwise violate a person or entity’s rights.
- You waive any privacy expectations you may have with regard to the submission. Do not submit any content or personally identifiable information that you do not want made public (online or on premises). Be aware that if your photo is selected to appear on the website or in any media related to the Smithsonian Rock ‘n’ Roll photo submission, your name, the city, state and country where you live, and the venue, city, state and country where the photo was taken may be displayed in the credit caption associated with the image and/or related story (your email would not be displayed). If your content is selected by the Smithsonian for posting, website visitors may share your content via social media websites such as Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, and applications such as “Po.st” and “Add This.” These sites operate independently of the Smithsonian and have their own privacy policies. In addition, comments with which you disagree may become associated with the content you submit.
- You understand that the Smithsonian is under no obligation to use or retain your submission. Should the Smithsonian decide to retain your submission, it will do so in accordance with its applicable document retention policies.
- You agree to indemnify and hold the Smithsonian harmless against any claims asserted by any third parties that allege your submission violates their rights, or from any breaches by you of these terms and conditions. You shall be responsible for any costs incurred by the Smithsonian for defense or settlement of third-party claims, including but not limited to reasonable attorney’s fees.
Smithsonian decisions are final and binding.